Among the Hampton University Archives' holdings are more than 8 million documentary items and over 50,000 photographs and glass negatives reflecting Hampton's role in American education, educational philosophy, political activities, labor issues, and business and international relations. Within the collection are approximately 2 million items and 19,000 photographs relating to the American Indian Education Program. Among these photographs are historic images taken on western reservations that exist nowhere else in the world.
The University Archives are not part of the Library, and patrons cannot search University Museum and Archive Collections online. These collections are not indexed in the Library Catalog or SUMMON. The Harvey Library does have a print finding aid for the Archives.
The Archives are located behind the University Museum's African Art gallery, within the Collis P. Huntington Building. See the University Archives webpage for more information on access to the University Archives.
The Peabody Collection is one of the oldest African American library collections in the country. In 1905, George Foster Peabody obtained 1,400 books and pamphlets on the Negro and slavery from bibliophile Tucker A. Malone and lent them to the library. In 1908, this loan was converted into a gift. Six years later, the library of Dr. Phil Broome Brooks, a black physician in Washington, D. C., was acquired. In subsequent years, other collections were added, including materials on Native American culture.
The William Moses Architecture Library is managed by the School of Engineering. The collection includes books, journals, digital and video materials, as well as slides. It also includes the Sol Cohen, Architect archives. This library is located in room 208 on the second floor of the Bemis Laboratory building.
Patrons can locate Architecture Library items by searching the main library's online catalog or through SUMMON.