Library Instruction Policy
The Harvey Library offers course-integrated instruction for Hampton University’s undergraduate and graduate students.
The following policies are intended to provide students with high quality instruction delivered in an effective manner.
- To schedule a library instruction session, please complete an online Library Instruction Request Form.
- Instruction sessions should be scheduled at least one week in advance.
- Classes will be held in the Harvey Library Classroom on the 1st Floor, with a librarian teaching the class.
- The course instructor is required to accompany undergraduate students when they come in for library instruction unless this is discussed at the time of scheduling.
- A copy of the assignment is to be provided to the librarian beforehand to enable them to prepare a focused, informative, and interesting presentation for the benefit of the students.
- The Coordinator for Instructional Services will send you a confirmation by e-mail when your class is scheduled for instruction. If you need to cancel or change the date/time of the instruction session, please contact the Coordinator of Instruction as soon as possible.
For further information, contact Girija Venkat, Coordinator for Instructional Services, at 757-727-5561/5379 or email@example.com.
What is Library Instruction?
Faculty- Give your students the tools they need for their reserach by scheduling a library instruction with a librarian!
Library instruction also known as bibliographic instruction(BI), library orientation, user education, and information literacy are single one shot sessions or multiple sessions taught by library faculty.
Goals of library instruction:
- Introduce students to relevant library resources and to research strategies for their information needs
- Assist students to identify, locate, and use resources (print and electronic) effectively
- help students develop basic information literacy skills by focusing on how to articulate an information need and formulate a strategy to find information to fulfill that need
- Help students develop critical evaluation skills and determine accuracy, relevance, and reliability of the information found
Contact a librarian at 727-5379 for more information, or schedule an instruction today by clicking on the "Request Library Instruction Request Form."
Scheduling Library Instruction
To schedule a library instruction, please follow these steps:
Step 1. Make sure you are allowing at least one week's notice for each request.
Step 2. Fill out the Library Instruction Request Form. This form can be filled out electronically and submitted. You may also print and fill out the form, then deliver it to the Reference Desk located on the first floor of the Harvey Library.