This is the "Library History" page of the "Harvey Library History" guide.
Alternate Page for Screenreader Users
Skip to Page Navigation
Skip to Page Content

Harvey Library History  

Last Updated: Sep 22, 2015 URL: Print Guide RSS Updates

Library History Print Page

Find Books & More at HU

Search the library's online catalog

Advanced Search


    Library Profile

    • About 450,000 books
    • Over 87,000 E-books
    • 125,000 square feet
    • 10 librarians
    • 20 paraprofessional staff
    • 2 John Biggers murals

    Hampton Institute's Libraries 1868-1980's

    • General Samuel Chapman Armstrong established first Hampton Normal and Agricultural Institute library collection in the Mansion House
    • Library collection filled the reading rooms of Virginia Hall by the end of the 19th century
    • In 1903, Collis P. Huntington Library constructed to hold expanding library collection
      Collis P. Huntington Library Building
    • Designed by W.F. Brooks, Huntington Library featured craftsmanship of Hampton Institute Trade School students
    • Renovations and additions in 1920 and 1968 supported transition from vocational school to liberal arts college curriculum
    • Hampton Institute became Hampton University in 1984
    • By the 1980’s, Huntington building proved inadequate to meet the needs of a modern university
      Huntington Library Staff in the rotunda circa 1980's

    Hampton University's Libraries 1992-present

    • New, state-of-the-art building, constructed to support comprehensive university collection
    • Named for Hampton University’s twelfth president, William R. Harvey, and his wife, Norma B. Harvey
    • Designed by architects Hubert Taylor and William Mulligan of Livas Associates, Hampton alumni
      Presentation drawing of William R. and Norma B. Harvey Library
    • Dedicated on January 26, 1992, the William R. and Norma B. Harvey Library became the main academic library for Hampton University
    • Departmental libraries in Architecture and Music provide additional information resources on the main campus
    • Huntington building renovated for University Museum and Archives in 1996
    • Information resource center established to serve Hampton University College of Virginia Beach in 2003

    Library Contact

    Profile Image
    Valinda Carroll
    Contact Info
    Preservation Manager
    William R. and Norma B. Harvey Library
    757.727.5553 (office)
    757.727.5876 (conservation lab)
    Send Email

    Harvey Library Hours

    Today's HoursHU_clock


    Loading  Loading...